Sunday, September 21, 2008

WA-Draft 2

So, about five months ago a ver scary and sad thing happened in my family. I remember how scared I was when I got that phone call from my mom. I don't really like thinking about it, but here it goes.

My uncle was living in Indiana at the time. I had just gotten home from school when my mom called me. I answered and she told me that my uncle was dying. He had had two massive heart attacks and was now in a coma. I stayed strong while I was on the phone, but sadness took over me once her voice was gone.

How could this be happening? I had just talked to him the week before. Now he was in a hospital bed on life support with no family there with him. Leaving me with no clue if he was going to live or die. I wanted to be there with him, but there was no way of me getting there. I felt so useless.

There was nothing we could do. Just pray and hope he would pull through this. My mom started making phone calls and making plans for a funeral. Phone calls came everyday from doctors telling us not to give up yet and he would come out of the coma. I hadn't lost hope yet, but my mom and aunt had. I started to worry, if they couldn't believe then how could I?

He remained on life support because the only person that could take him off was my grandpa and he hadn't made any effort to do anything to help my uncle. I felt selfish because I knew he wouldn't want to live like that, but I didn't want to loose him.

Weeks went by and it seemed like forever. He finally came out of it. I was so happy. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of my heart. Of course he wasn't back all the way yet. I mean he had just had two massive heart attacks that had put him into a coma. But he was alive and that's all that really mattered to me.

My uncle is now back in Virginia and I see him a lot. He's on medication, but I think he's going to be OK. I don't have to worry about not being there if anything happens like that again. I never want to be that scared, sad, and worried about something again. I just don't think I could handle another event like that.

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

Please use a bigger font next time.

I would cut this sentence, "I don't really like thinking about it, but here it goes."

You say sadness over took you? Did you fall into your chair? Did you cry? Give us details.

This is not what I'm looking for, "I was so happy." This is, "It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of my heart. "